‘Enough is enough’

‘Enough is enough’ Kevin Gray is speaking out after he and his fiancée, Ashleigh Hutchins, were followed and photographed while out shopping at the weekend. Picture: DARREN HOWE
Nanjing Night Net

Kevin Gray is speaking out after he and his fiancée were followed and photographed while out shopping at the weekend. Picture: DARREN HOWE

Kevin Gray is speaking out after he and his fiancée, Ashleigh Hutchins, were followed and photographed while out shopping at the weekend. Picture: DARREN HOWE

Powerlifter Kevin Gray holds the world record in the 59 kilogram class after squatting 240 kilograms in April. Picture: DARREN HOWE

Powerlifter Kevin Gray holds the world record in the 59 kilogram class after squatting 240 kilograms in April. Picture: DARREN HOWE

Powerlifter Kevin Gray holds the world record in the 59 kilogram class after squatting 240 kilograms in April. Picture: DARREN HOWE

Powerlifter Kevin Gray holds the world record in the 59 kilogram class after squatting 240 kilograms in April. Picture: DARREN HOWE

Powerlifter Kevin Gray holds the world record in the 59 kilogram class after squatting 240 kilograms in April. Picture: DARREN HOWE

TweetFacebookKevin Gray is no stranger to adversity.

Weighing in at 55 kilograms, the champion Bendigo powerlifter can squat almost five times his own body weight and smashedthe 227.5 kilogramworld record in April.

But despite the respect he commands in the sporting world, the 122 centimetre tall strongmansays he is frequently subjected to obnoxious, harassing behaviour from ignorant gawkers.

And when two men followed Mr Gray and his fiancée, Ashleigh Hutchins,through the supermarket at the weekend, openly snapping pictures on their phones as if the couple were a “circus act”, the weight of their ignorance became too much to bear.

RELATED:Bendigo powerlifter Kevin Gray smashes world record

“He had his phone up as I looked behind me and and I heard a click and so obviously he’s taken a photo of me so I thought ‘enough is enough’, so I walked around the aisle and met them head on,” he said.

“They were laughing to one another obviously about that and so I walked up to them and said ‘You guys find it pretty funny, taking photos of other people so I’m going to take photos of you’.

“They were gobsmacked really that I stood up to them.”

Mr Gray saidhe experiencedsimilar incidents “at least two or three times a week” but seeing the men target his fiancée as well was the last strawand he took to social media to call out theirbehaviour in the hope of sparing others the same treatment.

“It doesn’t really bring me down but when it involves someone I care about that’s a whole different story and I don’t want that to happen to my children one day,” he said.

It has since emerged the men were members of a gridiron team, in Bendigo for the weekend’s game against the Dragons, and their club, the Northern Raiders, issued an apology on Sunday.

“Our club has prided itself on being a diverse and inclusive club and we are deeply embarrassed by the actions of these two individuals,” it reads.

“We would like to apologise to the members of [the] public who were affected by this. We have issued apologies directly to the people involved from the Northern Raiders Gridiron Club. The players involved have also issued apologies. We have taken action internally and a discipline hearing will be convened this week.”

But Mr Gray said while representatives of the club had contacted him to apologise, he still had not heard directly from the players involved.

“All I got was a screen shot of a message that was sent to him from the guy that actually did it,” he said.

“I would have rathered havea message from the actual guys that actually did it, this third-party business is a bit of a cop out I feel.”

Mr Gray said the response to his Facebook post had been largely positive and he hoped the incident would help raise awareness about respecting people who are different.

“Basically think twice before you act and thinkhow youractions are going to affect other people before you go through with something,” he said.

“The last thing I think of if I see someone different is to pull out my phone, it’s [about] respecting other people’s space.”

The Northern Raiders Gridiron Club was contacted for comment.

Bendigo Advertiser

Boyfriend charged with murder of Carly McBride

Boyfriend charged with murder of Carly McBride ARRESTED: Police lead Sayle Newson away after his arrest in San Remo on Monday morning. He did not apply for bail.
Nanjing Night Net

MISSED: Mother of two Carly McBride was reported missing on September 30, 2014 … police found her remains near Scone almost two years later.

SHATTERED: Carly McBride’s parents Steve McBride and Lorraine Williams pleaded for information during the three-year mystery.

MYSTERIOUS: Carly McBride, 31, disappeared after heading to a fast food outlet in Muswellbrook.

The vicinity of where Carly McBride’s remains were found.

The vicinity of where Carly McBride’s remains were found.

The vicinity of where Carly McBride’s remains were found.

Superintendent Guy Guiana addressing the media at the press conference on Thursday, August 11.

Superintendent Guy Guiana addressing the media at the press conference on Thursday, August 11.

MYSTERIOUS: Carly McBride, 31, disappeared after heading to a fast food outlet in Muswellbrook.

INVESTIGATION: Police at Muswellbrook’s Highbrook Park early last year.

SEARCHING: Divers in one of the dams near Calgaroo Avenue, Muswellbrook, in February 2015.

PUBLIC PLEA: Carly’s parents Lorraine Williams and Steve McBride beg for help at a Muswellbrook press conference in June 2015.

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

Carly McBride Press Conference on June 9, 2015.

Carly McBride search, Muswellbrook, 18 February 2015. Photos Police Media

TweetFacebook The search for Carly McBrideCarly McBride was last seen in Calgaroo Avenue in Muswellbrook on September 30, 2014 after visiting her three-year-old daughter who had been living with the child’s father.NEARLY three years ago, Sayle Kenneth Newson demanded to know the truth about what happened to his then girlfriend,Lake Macquarie woman Carly McBride.

He would offer $10,000 cash as a reward. He would maintain a Facebook page that encouraged tip-offs from the community. And he would speak candidly to the media about how the couple’slives were just “taking off”.

On Monday, police alleged Mr Newson knew the truth all along: that he had killed Ms McBride, robbing two children of their mother, and plunging her heartbroken parents into despair as years went by without receiving any answers.

In a breakthrough in a murder mystery that has rattled the Hunter sinceSeptember 30, 2014, Mr Newson was arrested at San Remo on the Central Coast and charged with the Belmont woman’s murder.

He was also charged with two other offences in relation to the torching of a rented Mitsubishi Triton.

Hunter Valley Superintendent Steve Clarkerevealed that a second man – who is in custody at theLithgow Correctional Centre – would also be arrested later in the week.

It will be alleged the pair were part of a joint criminal enterprise to murder Ms McBride.

Mr Newson did not applyfor bail during a brief appearance at Wyong Local Court in the afternoon.

Earlier, Superintendent Clarke said the 39-year-old had boasted to detectives about being a former boxer and Muay Thai champion with “20 wins and no losses”.

That would form a “significant” part of the prosecution case, he said, revealing that a post-mortem of Ms McBride’s remains concluded she died from a heavy blow to the head.

“A post-mortem has revealed that she died from blunt force trauma and we will allege that she was assaulted to the point where she died,” Superintendent Clarke told reporters.

Asked about Mr Newson’s behaviourin the aftermath of Ms McBride’s disappearance, including his appeals for help on Facebook and thereward for information,Superintendent Clarke said detectives had always kept the 39-year-old in their sights, revealing that the accused had used Ms McBride’s card to purchase drinks at McDonald’s after her disappearance.

Many early posts on the “Help Find Carly McBride” Facebook page were personally signed off by Mr Newson.They included appeals for witnesses to come forward with information, to his frustrations with police and the media with how the investigation was being handled, and eventually to his praise for Strike Force Karabi, which was charged with getting to the bottom of Ms McBride’s disappearance. Mr Newson told theNewcastleHeraldin 2014 that he feared the worst.

“I believe she is dead, but I need the truth,” Mr Newson told theHeraldat the time.

Ms McBride’s parents, Steve McBride and Lorraine Williams, did not speak publicly on Monday, butwere understood to be relieved.

“They are obviously very relieved we’ve got to this point, but also very emotional as a result of what’s happened,” Superintendent Clarke said.

Magistrate Peter Feather adjourned the matter to Newcastle Local Court on August 9.

Roads, rates and rubbish are very 1997

ABOUT 20 years ago the average hourly pay of an average worker in the coastal part of the Hunter dominated by Newcastle was $35.60, according to numbers crunched by the National Institute of Economic Industry Research and released by the Australian Local Government Association this week.
Nanjing Night Net

In what it calls the “Inland Hunter”, centred on Singleton/Muswellbrook/Scone, an average worker in 1997 took home an average hourly pay of $34.10.

By 2007 the first signs of a coal boom were working their way through the Hunter and wages, in some sectors, were on the way up. Inthe case of mine workersthey were on their way significantly higher than the average worker in the non-mine sector. And because high mine wages attracted employees from the non-mine sector, average hourly pay in non-mining went up as well.

So the release of data with the State of the Regions report showing average hourly pay in 2017 at $48.10 in the coastal Hunter, and $45.70 in the Upper Hunter, provides evidence to support its argument that the Australian coal mining boom has not provided quite the boom we thought.

Or at least the boom has not been spread evenly.

There is no doubt coal mining has provided the Hunter with significant economic benefits over many years, and supported the employment of many thousands of people. There is no doubt the state has received billions of dollars in royalties, and when the global financial crisis hit in 2008 it was mining –and particularly coal and iron ore –that provided the financial padding that helped Australia ride out the storm.

But times are changing. The Paris Agreement and its implications might seem distant to many Australians, but there is no doubt many countries are responding, and rapidly. And while Federal politicians have settled in for what looks like another long battle over national energy security and the rise of renewables, many individuals and communities are voting with their feet and finding off-grid solutions to rising power prices.

The State of the Regions report and one of its authors, Dr Ian Manning, are throwing out the challenge to local government in regions like the Hunter to take the lead. And they’re using data from the past to show that local solutions from local communities produce the best local results.

It’s a challenge worth thinking about.

Issue: 38,523.

Call for water-ski race speeds to be capped after ‘tragic death’ of champion

Water-ski racing authorities should consider capping speeds after the “tragic death” of a champion observer on NSW’s Hawkesbury River, a coroner says.
Nanjing Night Net

Victorian father-of-four Ian Baker died after his superclass boat The Ringmaster flipped while travelling at 187 km/h during a qualification event, the day before the 2014 Bridge to Bridge Ski Race.

Deputy State Coroner Teresa O’Sullivan told the Glebe Coroner’s Court calls for a speed limit from the sport’s participants had been a “striking feature” of the inquest.

Ian Baker

She recommended Ski Racing Australia consider possible speed restrictions in the unlimited and super-class categories and that Roads and Maritime Service look at whether speed limits should be part of aquatic licences for the Bridge to Bridge Water Ski Classic.

“Speed contributed to Ian’s death,” Ms O’Sullivan said in written findings on Monday.

“The boat could not have become hydro-dynamically unstable, whether as a result of speed alone or impact with an object, unless it was travelling at an excessive speed.”

During the inquest, The Ringmaster’s driver Daniel McMahon said the crash that killed his good friend was so violent and rapid that he thought he had fallen through the bottom of the boat.

He, other crew members and an expert believed the vessel had hit something in the water.

But marine investigator Nayland Aldridge told the inquest the crash could have happened when the bow entered the water and propeller torque took control at high speed.

“I am not able to prefer one expert witness over the other as each opinion was equally plausible,” Ms O’Sullivan said.

“Accordingly, I cannot find, on the balance of probabilities, what caused The Ringmaster to lose control and crash.”

Mr Baker’s death came a year after a fatal Bridge to Bridge crash involving champion skier Sarah Teelow in 2013.

Among Ms O’Sullivan’s other recommendations, was that Ski Racing Australia consider requiring all vessels to carry spinal boards, defibrillators and neck braces.

She also said the authority should look at whether a net or cage could be used to collect debris beneath the water.

Mr Baker’s wife, Joanne, did not speak to reporters as she left the court on Monday.

“Ski racing was one of Ian’s passions and tragically it took him from us,” she said in words read out by Ms O’Sullivan.

“However his biggest passion was his family.”

AAP

Former Jet Holland signs with Austrian club til 2019

CELEBRATE: James Holland playing for the Newcastle Jets against the Central Coast Mariners in the 2008 major semi-final. Picture: Ryan OslandFringe Socceroos midfielder James Holland has put his China troubles behind him, agreeing a return to the Austrian Bundesliga with recently-promoted LASK Linz.
Nanjing Night Net

The 2008 Newcastle Jets premiership winner has been clubless since he and Socceroos attacker Robbie Kruse terminated their contracts with Chinese Super League side Liaoning Whowin last month due to unpaid wages.

Former Adelaide United man Holland made just one appearance in his four months at Liaoning, but now looks set for more game time in a familiar league where he’s experienced success.

The 28-year-old, who won the 2013 Bundesliga title during his three seasons with Austria Wien, has signed a two-year deal with LASK, promoted after winning the second division by 17 points.

“I am looking forward to returning to the Austrian Bundesliga after three years,” Holland told the club’s website.

“With my experience, I would like to help LASK achieve their next goals.”

The 15-times capped Holland hasn’t played for the Socceroos since 2013 but last year said he still harboured international ambitions.

Meanwhile andFootball Federation Australia hopes global exposure of the A-League will increase under a new international media rights deal with management giants IMG.

The six-year deal allows IMG to take the Australian domestic competition – and selected Socceroos matches – to overseas markets and will replace an agreement with Lagardere Sports.

It’s another piece in the puzzle of the code’s coverage, which includes Fox Sports and the Ten Network domestically.

The A-League was shown in 125 territories last year, according to the FFA, which has set it sights on boosting viewership in China, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, the United States and United Kingdom.

IMG, best known as a fashion model representative agency, has previously struck deals to help expand coverage of the NFL, Bundesliga, Eredivisie, America’s Cup, UEFA tournaments and e-sports events into new markets.

The company owns Sport 24, an in-flight and cruise channel broadcasting 24-hour sports.

The W-League, FFA Cup and selected Matildas’ matches also come under FFA’s deal with IMG.

Earlier this month, Fox Sports announced an arrangement with the FFA to live simulcast its coverage ofSaturdaynight A-League matches – and all finals matches – on Ten’s One channel from next season.