INSTA: @stevebgeorge Good morning folks! #villagelife #HunterValley #winecountryMorning Hunter
It is budget day for the NSW Government! Excited?
Privatisations have supercharged NSW finances, with Treasurer Dominic Perrottet set to announce an expected surplus of $4.5 billion for 2016-17when he delivers his first budget on Tuesday. Visit our website during the day for updates on the budget, as it is handed down about midday.
WEATHER:Partly cloudy. Morning fog. High (70%) chance of light showers about the Lower Hunter, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. Light winds. Daytime maximum temperatures between 15 and 19.
► Nearlythree years ago, Sayle Kenneth Newson demanded to know the truth about what happened to his then girlfriend,Lake Macquarie woman Carly McBride.
He would offer $10,000 cash as a reward. He would maintain a Facebook page that encouraged tip-offs from the community. And he would speak candidly to the media about how the couple’slives were just “taking off”.
On Monday, police alleged Mr Newson knew the truth all along: that he had killed Ms McBride. Read the full report.
Carly McBride murder: boyfriend Sayle Newson in custody with second arrest still to come
► Thefirst section of the first stage of the Lake Macquarie Transport Interchange, at Glendale, will be officially opened to traffic this Friday at 10am. Take a look.
►Maitland MP Jenny Aitchison has called onthe state government to contribute moremoney to upgradeTesters Hollow, takinginto account the cost of theApril 2015 super storm. Read on.
Aitchison wants more dough for Testers Hollow
►With a flair for floristry and an ability to create beautiful bouquets, Lili Robinson is highly regarded and admired for her work at WOW flowers.
And now her reputation as a talented florist is quickly spreading throughout the Hunter, having been named the 2017 Floristry Trainee of the Year at the Hunter Regional Apprenticeship and Traineeship Advisory Committee (HRATA) Awards for her efforts during her Certificate III in Floristry. Read on.
IN HER ELEMENT: Lili working at WOW Flowers.
► NSWMLC and the Greens spokeswoman for koalas Dawn Walker met with residents at the Mambo Wanda Wetlands and Tomaree Headland on Sunday.
The fragmentation of the Mambo Wanda Wetlands was of particular concern to Ms Walker. More here.
PLEASED: NSW MLC Dawn Walker said her visit to Port Stephens on Sunday was productive
State of the nationNeed anational newssnapshot first thing – well, we have you covered.
►Albury: A rare albino wallaby and her joeyhas been spotted out and about near the Border.Parks Victoria rangerJohn McDonald said the wallaby had been living in the same region for five years.Read on.
► Tamworth:TWO Tamworth schools are set to benefit from a multi-million-dollar cash windfall to be announced in Tuesday’s state budget.
The Leadercan reveal Tamworth Public School and Farrer Memorial Agricultural High School will receive funding for extensive upgrades including new classrooms and learning centres.Read on.
FUNDING: Farrer’s Latrell Allan, Austin Scrivener, Jai Gilmore, Patrick Hickey, Fletcher Shearman and Jack Dawson are looking forward to the new buildings. Photo: Peter Hardin
► Mount Isa:The office of Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove has released a Facebook videoof his visit to the Cloncurry Show on the weekend.
The video features some aerial shots of Cloncurry and surrounds plus highlights from his speech formally opening the pavilion on Saturday. More here.
SPECIAL GUEST: The Governor-General and his wife get a tour of the Cloncurry Showgrounds with Mayor Greg Campbell. Photo: Samantha Walton.
► South Australia:A man has died after a quad bike crash at Wompinie near the New South Wales border.
Just before 11pm on Sunday, June 18, police were called to a private road on Wompinie Station near Cockburnafter a 37-year-old man from the station had crashed while riding the bike. More here.
► Port Macquarie engineer and surfer Dale Carr has a joke about how he got bitten on the “fart gun”.
But there was nothing very funny about his experience one August afternoon in 2015, when he was attacked by a 2.7 metre shark, about 150 metres from the shore at Lighthouse Beach.Read on.
►Australians fear foreigners and robots, the governor of the Reserve Bank says, creating the “real crisis” in the economy of record low real wage growth through increased competition.
Speaking at the Crawford Australian Leadership forum in Canberra on Monday, Philip Lowe also took aim at the ongoing gridlock of the Australian political system, blaming it for lost opportunities and stifling economic growth. Full report here.
National weather radar:Faces of Australia:Mitch Oxborrow A-GAME: Former Jets and Glory midfielder Mitch Oxborrow hopes to play his way back to the A-League via a strong season with Broadmeadow Magic. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
MITCH Oxborrow was the first at a sodden Magic Park for a recovery session on Monday night.
The 22-year-old had a smile on his face and a spring in his step. It wascompletecontrast to the midfielder’s final training session atPerth Glory in May. Read on.